Trakošćan was founded at the end of the 13th century in the defense system of northwestern Croatia as a smaller observation fortress for the surveillance of the road from Ptuj to the bednatian valley.
According to the legend, Trakošćan got its name by the Gothic fort (Arx Thacorum), which allegedly existed at the time of antiquity. The second saved sermon tells us that the name was given by the Drachenstein knights who ruled these regions in the early Middle Ages.

Toponym Trakošćan was first mentioned in written documents in 1334. The lords of the fortifications in the first centuries are not known, but we know that from the end of the 14th century the owners of the Counts Celjski, who at the same time ruled the entire Zagorje Count. Soon, the family is extinct and Trakošćan shares the destiny of the rest of their towns and lands that are being blubbered and changed by various leaders. In this division, Trakošćan, as a unique property, belongs first to the army chief Jan Vitovc, then to Ivana Korvan, who gives it to his boss Ivan Gyulay. This family retains the castle for three generations, extinct in 1566, and the estate is taken over by the state.

King Maximilian assigns manor to Juraj Drašković (1525-1587), first personally, and then for hereditary enjoyment. Thus in 1584 Trakoscan acquired the Drašković family.

During the perspective period of the construction of castles in Hrvatsko zagorje, in the second half of the 18th century, Trakošćan has been abandoned. Blurred, it begins to decay rapidly, and only in the mid-19 th century, the family is once again interested in its title city, in the spirit of a new era, a romantic return to nature and family traditions. In this spirit, the town of Juraj V. Drašković rebuilds the town into a residential mansion and transforms the park environment into a romantic park. The next generation is temporarily residing in Trakošćan until 1944, when they leave in Austria, soon afterwards the castle was nationalized.

In 1954 a permanent exhibition was established. Today it is a castle owned by the Republic of Croatia.